Blog Archive

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Home

Boy, what a long day.  

Scott moved a large majority of our things into the house today while I began unpacking boxes of dishes and other kitchen items.  It was like Christmas morning all over again!  I had forgotten about so many things that have been packed away, and I'm now wondering where I'm going to put it all.  Slowly, but surely, things are coming together.  We plan to pack up and move what's left in the apartment tomorrow and intend to build beds and fill dresser drawers.  Yay!  It's going to feel so nice to not be in two places at once.

I wanted to share a few things that are close to my heart that I found while walking through the house the other day.  First, there is this...


Growing up, 'the blessing' was always said before supper and I was pleasantly surprised to see it still hanging on the wall in the kitchen when I walked in the back door.  I initially told my mother that I didn't want it, although it did have some degree of sentimental value.  I'm happy it was left behind and I plan on keeping it on the wall so my family can carry on the tradition of saying it every evening.

There is also this painting...

painting...

It was painted by my aunt (we have another drawing of hers as well) and I always remembered it hanging on the wall in the front room when I lived here.  It's a wintry Christmas scene with snowflakes and a bright red sled.  The house in which it was leaning upon always reminded me of this house.  Since then, it's been moved around from room to room and found it's home on top of these cabinets.  My mother had planned on taking it with them down to Arizona, but for one reason or another, it was left behind too.  I told her it would be in safe hands if she were to leave it and was touched to see it sitting up there.

Mom also left behind two crucifix's.  One above the front door...

intentional?

and the other was left hanging on the wall next to the hutch.  The hutch was a really dark wood for as long as I can remember and not very appealing to the eye.  A few years back, my mom decided to paint it, which gave it new life.  She had really wanted to take it with them when they moved, but wasn't sure where it would go in their new home.  After loading up the Uhaul, it would've been a tight squeeze to bring it with.  I'm planning to repaint it. :)

left behind


The bath toys were left by the bathroom sink, waiting for the next child to come along and bring them back to life.  They ended up being well used tonight in the bathtub. :)

left behind

And the rocking horse that my kids absolutely love.  As some of you may know from previous posts, Maria is obsessed with horses!  We knew this was staying behind, but seeing it here that day, all alone in the darkness, touched my heart.

november 1 :: habit

This glass hobnail cake plate was here too.  I love this thing and plan to use it whenever possible.

left behind

And then right as I was finishing up taking pictures, I looked at the key rack that is hanging by the refrigerator and I found this...

bless this house

All of these things were left behind with purpose and love... and all these things will stay here with that same sentiment.

I began writing this post yesterday evening, but became to tired to finish.  I decided to sit down once again tonight after the kids were sleeping to finish.  We are spending our first night here in the new house.  The girls are both sleeping in their own rooms, and Maria is sleeping in her real bed... one that has been in storage for far too long.  It feels good... really good.  Although there are still A LOT of boxes to unpack and things to put away, it's already feeling like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell us what you think