Blog Archive

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Adventures in cooking... potatoes with ranch dressing

I've always enjoyed cooking and baking and then sharing my creations with others, but since having children, my passion for it has taken a bit of a back seat.  However, I still love trying new recipes and have compiled a list in my head of tantalizing menu items (with my own personal touch of course) that would surely make the cut if I ever opened my own cafe... something else I've 'pipedreamed' about.

I find a lot of great meal ideas in magazines, my two favorites being Better Homes & Gardens and Martha Stewart Everyday Food.  Everyday Food is full of quick and light meals that often only require a few ingredients.  That's where I acquired this tasty side dish.  The sweetness of the baby reds really paired well with the tanginess of the homemade ranch dressing.  Since Scott and I enjoyed it so much, I thought I'd share it with all of you.

potatoes-0390

Potatoes with Ranch Dressing

1 lb. small potatoes
½ cup low-fat buttermilk
¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
2 T. mayonnaise
1-2 T. chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chives, or basil)
¾ tsp. fresh thyme
1 small garlic clove, minced
course salt & ground pepper to taste

In a medium pot, bring potatoes to a boil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.  In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, and mayonnaise.  Stir in herbs, thyme, and garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Drain potatoes and add to dressing.  Gently toss to combine.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

tell us what you think