Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hope you're hungry!

First and foremost, my camera is back.  Yay!!  I'm so happy to have that baby back in my hands.  I can't believe I was without it for a whole month!  Secondly, I wanted to share a recipe with you that I think you might want to try.  It makes a great lunch when the days are warmer, and your yearning for something cold and light to eat.

A few days ago I spent the whole afternoon prepping food in our teeny tiny kitchen.  Cilantro pesto, chipotle mayonnaise, hard boiled eggs, cleaning veggies, made salsa, and whipped up a batch of Tabouli... something I haven't had in a few years.  Tabouli is traditionally made of Bulgar, lemon, parsley, and mint.  I wasn't sure how I was going to use it at the time, but thought I'd put a few scoops on my salad the following day.  Oh my goodness!  I think about this salad when I wake up in the morning and the thought of having it again the next day makes my mouth water.

salad-0032
the sandwich in this picture is for another time... yum!

It's incredibly simple to make and all the ingredients can be adjusted to what you like... I used what I had on hand.  You can make Tabouli from scratch, but I used Casba brand.  It's super easy to make and doesn't involve any standing over the stove.  Perfect for those hot summer days.

Tabouli Summer Salad

Romaine lettuce
Hard boiled egg (cut in chunks)
Mushrooms
Red onion
Orange pepper
Cucumber
A few scoops of prepared Tabouli
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare the Tabouli according to the package directions or try using this recipe if you'd like to make your own.  In mine I added two Roma tomatoes and some diced cucumber with the seeds removed.

After your Tabouli has been refrigerated for an hour, you can make your salad.  Chop your salad ingredients (including more cucumber) and place in a nice sized bowl... believe me, you'll want it big.  Put a few scoops of Tabouli on top and add salt and pepper.

That's it!!  No salad dressing is needed because the Tabouli has so much flavor already.  I was worried that it would be too dry, but it surprisingly wasn't.  Feel free to add some rotisserie chicken to your salad as well.  I did that one day, and it was equally as good.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell us what you think