Blog Archive

Sunday, March 6, 2011

God, help me....


maria-0947

This pretty much sums up how I'm feeling this Sunday morning....

Sometimes we just wake up on the wrong side of the bed, right?  Well, what is called when every morning for the past two weeks the littlest one can't seem to get a grip?  I call it premature terrible two's.

Considering she can't say one word besides 'mama' (and only on her terms) I suppose communicating isn't the easiest thing for her.  Every morning begins with a series of cries, whines, and screams.  Shaking heads, stomping feet, and throwing of objects.  Often times it carries on until her morning nap, and then again around dinner.  They say the second child learns to speak later than your first, but if she doesn't learn soon, I think I'll lose my mind... not really of course.:)

Don't get me wrong, she can be a good girl too.  Probably more often than I'm leading on, but Maria never did this.  She sailed fairly smoothly through her second year of life, but became more of a challenge at the age of three.  Is Ginger's behavior only a taste of what's to come?  Is she going to be the girl in Target that throws herself on the floor, kicking and screaming, because I won't buy her 'tickle me Elmo'?  God, I hope not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks:)

2 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you Barb. These phases can be so trying. If indeed the problem is frustration in not be able to communicate I wonder if teaching her some simple signs would help? Teaching moments may be few and far between but in those times when you figure out what is wrong or what she needs a sign for that thing/emotion might be a helpful tool. Just a random thought that might not be helpful but I thought I'd share. My girls both had days like this but not days on end so I can't offer personal experience. It was most often over tiredness that caused their hard days. Hang in there....it will pass :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not that this will help (other than knowing your not alone), but my 2.5 yr old, who has been talking in sentences since about 15months, still does this.
    STILL.
    Despite the fact that he can tell me what he wants. The stomping part cracks me up, the crying just hurts my ears.

    The best thing we have found is to ask him to tell us what he needs/wants. Then if it keeps up ask him if he needs a minute (not a time out, just a minute or two of time alone collect his thoughts) and then if he still doesn't chill I just ignore it- not giving him the attention until he can calm down. More times than not, he will walk back into the room and tell me, "okay, I'm done being mad now. can I have....."

    I like the idea of signs too- they really do help everyone out.

    Hope this helps a little, and hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete

tell us what you think