Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

We made cookies!

I had mentioned last week that I was planning on baking sugar cookies with Maria sometime this week.  Well, Scott took Ginger for the whole afternoon on Saturday while we baked the day away... and what a day it was!

I used a recipe from the December issue of Martha Stewart magazine, which had good results in the end. She always seems to be my go-to gal when it comes to cooking or baking.

cookies2-0774

Finding enough space to make cut out cookies was not an easy task, but we made it work.  However, I was quickly realizing that making these cookies was not going to be my favorite thing to do.  What a process!!  But Maria had fun and that's all that matters.

cookies1-0773

She was such a good little helper too!

lovin' every minute of it

We baked some with no plans for frosting...


and by the end, I was pooped out!  It took ALL afternoon and into the evening to get them all done... and that didn't include frosting them all.  It probably didn't help that our oven is tiny and there isn't much room for an assembly line.

I think Maria was getting anxious towards the end of the day and lost interest in the whole process, as did I. 

cookies5-0784

I finally frosted them two days later... by myself.  I was ambitious in the beginning with plans of adding details to them all.  That quickly wore off and I soon found myself dreading the whole thing and got sloppy.

glad that's over

They still turned out festive and pretty, but there's other Christmas cookies in my recipe box that taste better and aren't so much work.  Call me a party pooper if you want, but these just aren't my thing.

4 comments:

  1. I made sugar cookies for my son's class at halloween- it was SO much work, I totally agree. I think next time I would just get the roll in the canister next time.
    it is a process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. roll 'em in a ball, dip the bottom of a glass in sugar, smash the ball with the glass...voilà!!!

    what a doll she is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with ya! I so don't look forward to it and I have a huge kitchen! I can't imagine tackling that job in your airstream. I do have to say that they really look awesome though. I know you will all enjoy eating them! How was Nevada City?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so pretty. I haven't made cut-out cookies with the kids in years. They always poop out and leave me to finish the job all by myself. I usually just make the standard thumbprint cookies, some icebox cookies and then we do our gingerbread house together. I was thinking of trying some red velvet woopie pie cookies this year.
    Miss Maria looks like such a good helper, and an absolutely adorable one to boot! Loving your pics over at flickr(I am hoping to start up flickring again soon, slow and steady though). Oh, and your knitting projects look just beautiful, can't wait to see more. I hope all is well!
    XO~Bekah

    ReplyDelete

tell us what you think