Blog Archive

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Our trip to Disneyland... and other mishaps

This post has been put on the back burner for far too long.  We finally figured out how to get an internet connection on the computer through our phones, so blogging has become that much easier.  No more 'stealing' weak signals from other sources or taking the girls to the pool house to use the free wifi.

Speaking of pool houses, we've been spending a lot of time in the pool too!  Today the weather is supposed to be in the 90's... and it's only April.  Well, almost April. ;)  We've had to turn the air on in the trailer which has been providing a bit of relief, but as soon as it goes off, the trailer heats up like an oven.  And it's so loud!  Our switch to lighter, fresher meals have also replaced the comfort foods we had enjoyed while in California, and the switch was basically overnight.  Not a very good transition into summer.  Tan lines on little bodies and big bodies, flip flops, sundresses, shaving of legs.... these are some of the things that we have adjusted to since arriving in Arizona... and our search for a set of table and chairs for the 'patio' has been put on the front burner.  Something that folds flat but still looks... hip.

Now that I've made you all envious of our early summer, let me fill you in on some of the good and not so good highlights from the trip.  Sorry if this post sounds a bit negative, but please try to sense my sarcasm while I was writing it. :)

A trip to Disneyland was on the agenda.  Not a place I was particularly fond of going to, but like Scott said 'it's for the kids.'  So south bound to Anaheim we went and I believe somewhere along the way, we got a flat tire on the truck.  Scott didn't know how to get the spare off and struggled with it for some time.  Thankfully he resorted to calling a local Dodge dealership to find out how.  Soon we were back on the road.


We stayed at an RV park that was within walking distance to Disneyland.  We intended on getting up early the next morning and walking the few blocks, but ended up not getting out of the trailer till eleven or so.  We had no idea the amount of time it was going to take to walk through the whole park.  We thought for sure we'd be home by six, but ended up leaving the park around nine.  By the end, we had all had it and were able to watch the fireworks on the walk home.  I believe it was the best seat in the house.


We always seem to travel to popular places during a school hiatus, this time it was spring break.  The lines were pretty bad and I would say that the majority of our time was spent in line.  The one thing that was top on the priority list that day was to meet the princess'.


and yes, Ginger looked crabby in just about every picture.  I think she gets that from me. ;)

After going on a few rides and having some lunch we decided to wait in that loooong line to see them.  I believe we waited for over an hour.

waiting in line-0067

But when we turned the corner.... Maria was in heaven!!

i think to say she was excited would be an understatement





I had never seen her so excited!  She had not a shy bone in her body.  She continually jumped up and down for several minutes before someone finally told her to calm down so we could get a picture.  I'm sure it wasn't the first time Belle and Ariel saw a little girl so excited.  Ginger on the other hand, couldn't have cared less. 

We ate pink cotton candy, ice cream, and pizza... all of which were overpriced and not very good.  We bought Maria a pair of ridiculously priced pair of pink Minnie Mouse ears, which made her head itchy and now sit on the dresser and haven't been worn since.  But like Scott said, 'it's for the kids'.  She does however look really cute in them.

minnie ears-0086


We had a cup of crap coffee at one of the cafe's and sat and watched the other tourists pass by.  I could've sat there much longer than we did, but the day was running out.



We headed back to the trailer and put the kids to bed.  Got up bright and early to get a head start on the day.  Our plan was to leave the RV park by 8:00.  We succeeded, but not even 5 miles onto the freeway we encountered our second flat tire, only this time it was on the trailer.  Sonofacraphole!!

Luckily, some highway patrol tow truck thing pulled over shortly after and offered to help free of charge.  It put a dent in our early start, and buying new tires later that day set us back too. It's all a part of the journey, I suppose.

We arrived in Phoenix that evening to look at some campgrounds and then proceeded south towards Tucson where my parents live.  We encountered what we thought was a black widow spider in the trailer, but soon discovered that it probably wasn't.  My father came over and sprayed the screens and all the openings with pesticides.  Taking precautions against scorpions, wolf spiders, black widows, and snakes soon became high on the to-do list.  While we were in Tucson, we went to the Desert Museum, went swimming, had really good hamburgers made by my brother-in-law, and best of all, spent down time with family.

It was quite the journey, full of good times, bad times, and lots of memorable photos in between.


  1. oh man. Maria's face is just priceless in those princess photos. that right there is what it's all about!

  2. I just LOVE the first photo with Belle, you can feel her excitement looking at it!

  3. Those pictures of Maria make me smile and cry all at once. Sooo cute! The joy of childhood wonder and just cannot be beat. Sounds like you have had quite an adventure. So glad you are now enjoying some beautiful weather and downtime.

  4. I agree with everyone else, those pictures with Belle are so adorable! What a great blog. I hope once I have children I'll be able to travel around the country with them, what an amazing experience.

    Also, if you haven't gotten that table and chairs yet, Ikea has some really affordable 'hip' styles. :)


tell us what you think